Boylston, Alabama Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer
Motorcycles are a unique way to get around the Boylston area and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Alabama. Sadly, motorcycles offer less visibility on the road than passenger vehicles, and accidents involving them can be horrific.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a motorcycle accident in Boylston, Alabama, you shouldn’t have to worry about the unexpected costs associated with such a tragedy. At Frank Wilson, Attorney at Law, we have extensive experience seeking justice in motorcycle accident cases and will fight for the compensation you need and deserve. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accidents in Boylston
If you think about it, motorcycles are inherently dangerous. Unlike a car or truck, a motorcycle offers no roof, structural support, or safety features like seatbelts or airbags. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that the death rate for motorcyclists is 29 times higher than that of car drivers for every mile traveled.
But people love motorcycles and have the right to safely operate them on the road. Unfortunately, they are sharing the pavement with other vehicles. According to the Alabama Department of Transportation, there were over 1,800 motorcycle crashes in this state in 2019, resulting in more than 1,200 injuries and 90 deaths.
The Most Frequent Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
In some cases, the motorcyclist causes the accident. But, in nearly half of all accidents, the fault lies somewhere else. Here are some of the most frequent causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Unsafe lane changes – Drivers can collide with motorcycles when they neglect to check their blind spot before changing lanes.
- Speeding – One of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents is excessive speed.
- Car doors – Some motorcycle accidents happen when a parked driver opens the door of their vehicle into the path of a moving motorcyclist.
- Lane splitting – Driving between two lanes, called lane-splitting, is illegal and can lead to serious motorcycle-involved accidents.
- DUI – Drivers who operate vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs are more likely to make careless mistakes that result in accidents.
- Left turn accidents – When making left turns, a misjudgment of distance or a right-of-way error can lead to the serious injury or death of a motorcyclist.
- Sudden stops – When a car or truck follows a motorcyclist too closely, there is a greater risk of an accident when vehicles are forced to make a sudden stop.
- Dangerous road conditions – Debris, potholes, missing or poor signals, or crumbling pavement can be the cause of dangerous motorcycle accidents.
- Motorcycle defects – The designer or manufacturer of a defective motorcycle or motorcycle part could be held accountable for failure that leads to an accident.
These are just a few of the possible causes of a motorcycle accident. Your attorney can help identify the responsible party and build a strong case to prove negligence on your behalf.
Types of Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
If you’re riding a motorcycle and are involved in a crash with a car or truck, the injuries you suffer are likely to be severe and life-altering. Many of the most common injuries our firm sees from these tragedies include:
- Head injuries – Head injuries are frequently seen in motorcycle accidents, even among riders that wear helmets. Concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI) are just a few of the possibilities.
- Road rash – When a biker’s skin is exposed and comes into contact with the pavement, it can cause cuts, bruises, and burns that are incredibly serious.
- Biker’s arm – When a biker is thrown from their motorcycle, the natural instinct is to use their arm to try to break their fall. This can result in severe arm and shoulder injuries.
- Leg injuries – Leg injuries are also common with bikers because the lower extremities can be tough to protect in a crash, resulting in broken and fractured bones.
- Death – Sadly, too many motorcycle accidents result in needless fatalities. When another party is responsible for your loved one’s loss of life, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim.
Damages You May be Able to Collect After a Motorcycle Crash
Alabama is a “fault” state when it comes to insurance claims, meaning the party responsible for your damages is the one that should have to pay as opposed to your own insurance company. If you were injured through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation for such things as medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering. But collecting what you are due can be an uphill battle.
Insurance companies can be difficult to deal with after an accident, and some may try to allege that you were partially to blame for the accident. If they are successful, Alabama’s contributory negligence rule states that you won’t be able to recover anything for your injuries. For this reason alone, we recommend that you seek legal counsel immediately and avoid speaking with an insurance adjuster about your case.
How to Protect Yourself from Motorcycle Accidents
If you own and operate a motorcycle, you can’t necessarily trust that others will keep you free from harm. Not only do you want to take every precaution available to stay safe, there are also some rules concerning the operation of these vehicles. According to Alabama law:
- All motorcyclists must have a license.
- Persons ages 14 and over are eligible to obtain a license to operate a motor-driven cycle that weighs 200 lbs or less and has an engine size of 150 cc or less.
- Persons ages 16 and over are eligible to obtain a license to operate all types of motorcycles.
- Operators and riders on motorcycles are required to wear specifically designed headgear (meaning a helmet).
Beyond these legal requirements, motorcyclists should also wear proper protective clothing, have the right training, operate their vehicles safely in poor conditions, and even be prepared to ride defensively when necessary.
Speak with a Qualified Boylston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
It would be a shame to let another party’s mistake impact your physical, emotional, and financial well being now and well into the future. At Frank Wilson, Attorney at Law, we care about the devastating effects these accidents have on our clients and fight aggressively for their rights. Our firm handles all types of motorcycle accidents. Call our office today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.