Union Springs Truck Accident Lawyers
Two highways – US Route 29 and US Route 82 – run through Union Springs. US Route 82 – in particular – is considered dangerous as it is littered with accident-prone intersections like the one at Birmingham Road and is commonly used by truckers to transport logs and other materials. The risk of truck and passenger vehicle collisions along this route is considerably higher compared to other roadways in the state.
Truck accidents can happen for a number of reasons including:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Impaired driving
- The truck driver’s failure to check blind spots or look out for oncoming vehicles while making a turn or changing lanes
- The truck driver’s failure to properly judge the stopping distance
- The truck driver’s failure to judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle
- Cargo overload, unevenly loaded cargo, or poorly secured cargo
- Vehicular malfunction caused by defective parts
Who are the Liable Parties in a Truck Accident?
The Truck Driver
If the truck driver was under the influence of alcohol, recreational drugs, or prescription medications at the time of the accident, or if they violated traffic laws, they can be held liable for the accident.
For instance, if the truck driver ran a red light and crashed into your vehicle, they can be held liable for your injuries and other losses.
The Truck Company
If the truck company is found to have violated federal hours-of-service regulations or truck driver training requirements, it can be held liable for the accident.
The most common ways truck companies tend to violate federal regulations include:
- Hiring someone who is unqualified to drive a commercial truck
- Hiring someone with a history of unsafe driving, traffic law violations, or alcohol or drug abuse
- Hiring someone who does not meet the physical requirements needed for operating a commercial truck
- Failing to conduct random alcohol and drug tests
- Forcing the driver to stay on the road longer than they should – in violation of hours-of-service regulations
- Failing to service the truck and keep it in good condition
Apart from this, the truck company can also be held indirectly or vicariously responsible for the accident under the doctrine of respondeat superior. If it’s found that the truck company had a right of control over the driver and the driver was acting within the scope of their employment when the accident happened, the company can be held liable.
The Loading Company
If the truck was overloaded with cargo or if the cargo was unevenly loaded or poorly secured, the company responsible for loading the cargo can be held liable for the accident.
If the accident was caused as a result of a mechanical defect, the company that manufactured the truck or the defective part in question can be held liable.
Common Injuries That Can Result from Truck Accidents
The injuries resulting from truck accidents are almost always catastrophic in nature – due to the massive size of commercial trucks and the amount of cargo they tend to carry.
The most common types of injuries you might suffer in a truck accident include:
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Crush injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Damage to internal organs due to blunt force or penetrating trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries caused by blunt force or penetrating trauma
If you are injured in a truck accident, it’s critical to seek medical help as soon as possible. There are a number of hospitals in and around Union Springs – including the Bullock County Hospital, Jackson Hospital and Clinic, and Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital – where you can get the medical care you need.
Damages You Can Recover in a Union Springs, AL Truck Accident Claim
- Accident-related medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost earnings
- Loss of earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent disability
- Diminished quality of life
If the event of a fatal truck accident, the administrator or executive of the victim’s estate can file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party and seek damages. Under Alabama law, only punitive damages can be awarded in a wrongful death lawsuit. However, there is no cap on the amount of punitive damages that can be awarded in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Injured by a Commercial Truck? Our Union Springs, AL Truck Accident Attorneys are Ready to Represent You
If you have been injured in a commercial truck accident, it is important to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer who can stand up to the pressure tactics of the insurance company, negotiate aggressively, and get you the settlement you deserve.
Attorney Frank M. Wilson has more than 30 years of experience as a civil litigator and is a recipient of numerous awards and recognitions – including the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent rating. Often called a lawyers’ lawyer, Frank M. Wilson has a track record of successfully resolving some of the most highly complicated legal claims.
To discuss your truck accident claim with our reputable Union Springs, AL truck accident attorney, call our firm today at 334-420-2931 or get in touch with us online and schedule a free consultation.