Personal Injury Lawyers in Greenville, AL
At the law office of Frank M. Wilson, we are fully committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Greenville, AL. Led by Frank M. Wilson – one of the most accomplished civil litigators in Alabama – our legal team has decades of experience in handling personal injury claims and can get results that most other firms cannot.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries in Greenville, AL
Rt 185 is often backed up around rt 85. Some reasons for this are access to Mac Crenshaw Memorial Airport, and access to downtown, where Butler County District Court and Alabama Grill are. Automobile accidents are by far the most common cause of personal injuries in Greenville. The risk of automobile accidents is noticeably high at busier intersections – mostly due to driver error and in some cases, due to lack of maintenance.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Greenville, AL Personal Injury Claim
Under the law, you are required to bring a claim against the at-fault party within a two-year time period – starting from the date on which you were injured. The deadline is applicable to all injury victims – except for minors and people who are not of a sound mind.
Damages Recoverable in a Greenville, AL Personal Injury Claim
Depending on the severity of your injuries, we might be able to recover the following damages in your case:
- Medical expenses (you may incur significant medical costs at the L.V. Stabler Memorial Hospital or another local hospital or medical center.)
- Cost of future treatment
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Cost of long-term care and assisted living (in the event of a permanent disability)
- Lost earnings
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment or diminished quality of life
In addition to this, you might also be able to recover punitive damages – if you can prove that the at-fault party deliberately injured you with malicious intent or engaged in oppression or fraud. The maximum amount of punitive damages that can be recovered in a personal injury claim is $1.5 million.
How Long Does a Personal Injury Claim Take in Greenville, AL?
It can take anywhere from one to three years to settle your personal injury claim – depending on a number of factors. These include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The number of defendants (at-fault parties) in your claim
- The amount of compensation you are demanding from the at-fault party
- Whether your claim is settled out of court or goes to trial
- The case load in the court where you have filed your claim
It should be noted that some claims take longer to resolve than others – due to their complexity. For instance, a DUI accident is easier to prove, since the liability of the driver can be easily established with the help of documentary evidence. A medical malpractice claim, on the other hand, can take a lot longer, as it is not easy to prove that the medical professional in question failed to provide the required level of care.
What You Need to Know about Alabama’s Contributory Negligence Law
Alabama is one of the very few states that still follow the contributory negligence doctrine – under which you are not eligible to recover any damages if it is found that your own negligence was also a contributing factor to the accident. Even if the other side was 99% at fault, you cannot recover any damages, since you were 1% at fault.
This is why it is important to be represented by our experienced Greenville, AL personal injury attorneys. In the absence of effective legal representation, the other side might be able to blame you for the accident and get away with paying nothing.
More importantly, make sure you choose an experienced trial attorney to handle your claim. If you are represented by one, the other side might be willing to make a reasonable settlement offer – as they might be wary of the fact that your attorney might choose to take your case to trial if necessary, which can result in a protracted legal battle.
On the other hand, if your attorney lacks courtroom experience, the other side might try to push you around – knowing that your attorney will be desperate to settle the claim at any cost.
Steps You Should Take During the Course of a Personal Injury Claim
- Follow your doctor’s instructions and focus on your recovery.
- Do not be too eager to get back to work – especially against your doctor’s orders. If you do, the at-fault party might easily claim that your injuries are not as serious as you claim them to be.
- Contact the law office of Frank M. Wilson and hire a personal injury attorney to handle your claim.
- Do not talk to anyone from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Let your attorney handle all the communication with the claim adjustor and other parties.
- Stay away from social media.
- Do not discuss the specifics of your claim – the injuries you suffered, how long it might take for you to recover, how much compensation you are seeking from the other party, and so on – with anyone.
Injured in Greenville, AL? Our Personal Injury Attorneys are Here to Help You
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one due a third party’s negligence, breach of care, or intentional act, the personal injury attorneys at the law office of Frank M. Wilson can fight for you and help you get the compensatory damages you are entitled to.
Our firm’s founder – Frank M. Wilson – is a highly-rated civil litigator and has received numerous awards and accolades over the course of his career – including the prestigious Preeminent AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
The attorney who handles your claim plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of your case. With that said, make sure you are represented by the best. To discuss your claim with a seasoned Greenville, AL personal injury attorney, call our firm today at 334-420-2931 or contact us online by filling out this contact form and schedule a free consultation.